The Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake football team celebrates its first state title after beating Section VI’s Sweet Home 40-20 the Class A final at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.
• Jason Morris Judo Center students Nick Delpopolo and Kyle Vashkulat competed at the Olympics in London. Delpopolo won his first two matches before losing in the quarterfinals, while Vashkulat lost in the opening round. Delpopolo was sent home shortly after competing when he failed a drug test.
• The New York Giants returned to the University at Albany for training camp after the 2011 camp was cancelled due to the NFL lockout. The defending Super Bowl champions spent three weeks in the area and held 14 public practice sessions. It was the last year of a three-year contract with UAlbany, and there has yet to be any decision regarding 2013.
• Saratoga Race Course had another successful season of summer thoroughbred racing, as attendance and wagering were up from 2011. Jockey Ramon Dominguez set a new course record for most wins in a season with 68, while Todd Pletcher took the top trainer title with 36 winners. Mechanicville native Chad Brown placed second in the trainer standings with 29 winners.
• The Tri-City ValleyCats won the New York-Penn League’s Stedler Division title with a 51-25 record and reached the championship series, where they lost to the Hudson Valley Renegades three games to two. The ValleyCats had the best record in the league for most of the season until the Renegades passed them on the final day of the regular season.
• The Albany Dutch-men enjoyed the best season in their four-year existence. The Dutchmen finished sixth out of nine teams in the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League with a 22-24 record, and they remained in contention for a playoff berth until the final week of the regular season.
• The fourth time was the charm for the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake football team, as the Spartans defeated Section VI’s Sweet Home 40-20 in the Class A state finals at the Carrier Dome. The Spartans had lost in their three previous appearances in the finals, including two losses to Sweet Home.